SEARCH
MORE
General Discussion

Vegetable Garden

6/30/04 @ 1:47 PM
INITIAL POST
Paladin
User since 6/15/01
Who's got one ? what are you growing ? and how's it coming along? Mine consists of sweet corn , cabbage , brussel sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli ,cucumbers, zucchini, peas, tomatoes , peppers , acorn squash, pumpkins, and assorted spices. The cold wet weather hasn't been very conducive to good growth so far for me. But with warmer weather in the forecast things should turn out. I hope those of you growing fair better.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 8,599 posts
5/17/24 @ 9:32 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06
Do it, Skillz. Real farmers do it in the dark
Vegetable Garden photo by jaybeeturtle
5/17/24 @ 9:26 PM
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
PRO MEMBER User since 7/24/20
Are you guys still planting gardens? I have not been able to up in the north woods getting skunked on Fishing. And eating and drinking too much. Maybe next year I’ll get a garden going we’ll see.
5/17/24 @ 5:36 PM
SkiLLz~4~GiLLz
SkiLLz~4~GiLLz
User since 7/29/21
I think I might wander out and plant my peppers yet tonight. I'm feeling motivated. Keep pics coming everybody.
5/17/24 @ 5:22 PM
Madgill
Madgill
PRO MEMBER User since 12/26/01
All done planting here. I removed the row covers, cuke seeds are up and looking good. The tomatoes that were under row cover are 6 inches taller than those not covered. I watered everything with Alaska fish fertilizer to get things really growing. I love the smell of fish fertilizer in the morning!!

Vegetable Garden photo by Madgill
5/17/24 @ 9:10 AM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01
I always start my carrots as soon as the ground is thawed. They usually germinate in about 3 weeks. I've been doing it that way for several years now and it works well. I plant them along the sides of my raised bed garden and I don't harvest them until almost the first frost and keep picking them until a freeze. I'm trying some in a grow bag this year. They are doing well so far. 
5/17/24 @ 7:49 AM
wskiph
wskiph
User since 9/3/11
Thanks for advising on carrots. I'll hv to be patient 
5/17/24 @ 6:35 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11
Agreed, I'd wait at least 3 weeks before replanting carrots. Sometimes they sprout quick and sometimes can take awhile. My first planting usually doesn't do the best and I thought I was going to have to replant them after a heavy rainfall, but they ended up coming in thick. Second planting will go in this weekend.

We're going to have some big pepper plants this year!
Vegetable Garden photo by Junkie4Ice
Vegetable Garden photo by Junkie4Ice
5/16/24 @ 4:25 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06
Carrots are  root crop so they take a long time to sprout. 2 to 3 weeks. After that, you would have to replant if needed 
5/16/24 @ 4:11 PM
wskiph
wskiph
User since 9/3/11
Carrots not germinating. How long. 
Should I plant more now or wait.  Have no experience with carrots
5/16/24 @ 3:38 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06
Hey Junkie, that's for my pole beans. I went from bush beans to pole beans, and now I got a heck of alot less back pain picking beans, haha
5/16/24 @ 9:34 AM
Kayaker 8
User since 8/28/20
Pole beans sprouted this morning, might have some radishes this weekend or early next week with dinner.  Picked another batch of asparagus.  two rows of carrots doing good, two others never sprouted.  Lettuce once again not sprouting.  

5/16/24 @ 9:09 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11
I think it's time to get some cukes and zucchini in the ground, my compost pile exploded with pumpkin seedlings and I have volunteer tomatoes, broccoli, cilantro, dill and ground cherries all coming up. Soil temps really went up this week and mid 80s again Saturday. This might be one of those years mother nature cooperates with us early northern planters (knock on wood). Got my first few asparagus spears popping through finally as well!
5/16/24 @ 9:04 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11
Wish you were closer to me Fish, I'd like to try one of those Abe Lincolns at some point.

JB - what do you have going on in the back ​of your garden? Some sort of trellis system? Looking good!
5/16/24 @ 8:30 AM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06
Planted the main garden last night. Only had to spend $20 at the garden center this year,  my transplants did well
Vegetable Garden photo by jaybeeturtle
5/15/24 @ 10:55 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01
Carpio I rarely get more than about two dozen tomatoes off a Brandywine tomato plant, but they are one of my favorites! The same goes for Abe Lincoln (which is my all-time favorite), though last year I had a pretty good year on the Abe Lincoln, though smaller than usual.  If anyone ever wants any of my seedlings, just let me know. I have plenty this year including some of those "Purple" tomato plants. I'm only going to grow one and I think I have 7 or 8 plants right now.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 8,599 posts
TRENDING DISCUSSIONS

MINN KOTA - UPGRADED Ulterra and Terrova
UPGRADED Ulterra and Terrova
The Ulterra® and Terrova® are newly upgraded to keep you at the top of your game and always in the thick of it. More maneuvers. More capabilities. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - UPGRADED Ulterra and Terrova Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging
Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging
It's showtime. We've expanded the performance of our MEGA Imaging®? technology with the introduction of MEGA Live Imaging™?. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE