MORE
General Discussion

The up north thread

8/26/16 @ 12:47 AM
INITIAL POST
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02
Tidbits and News related to northern Wisconsin. 
Displaying 1 to 15 of 5,413 posts
6/6/24 @ 6:24 PM
huntfish
User since 6/16/03
I remember the DNR airplane dropped larvae all over the northwoods to combat this. Giant blow flies everywhere. 10-15 years ago?
6/6/24 @ 4:25 PM
C-P-R-#1
User since 2/14/08
I'm in the middle of a huge gypsy moth caterpillar infestation right now......they now refer to them as spongy moth so as not to offend anyone........It's been going on for about two weeks.....Lodi, WI area.......caterpillars started super small....smaller than a grain of rice......and are now about 1" long.......hanging from silk all over the trees, roof, siding, downspouts, soffit, etc. Cleaned the siding off at least 4 times, probably pushed well over 1,000 into a bucket of soapy water to kill them.  Sucks going out a door only to walk into them hanging by silk from the soffit......
6/6/24 @ 10:59 AM
Esox JJ
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12
I remember some serious infestation in Iron and Price counites and probably most of the north woods.  in the late 90s or early 2000. Lots of devestation to popple. All you can do is let nature take its course. Some good firewood a few years later some of the trees couldnt recover
6/6/24 @ 10:00 AM
Gimper
User since 11/27/01
I've got those black Inch worm's all over my fruit trees eating holes in the leaves. Hope it doesn't harm them.

They sure are think this year, eh?  I don't recall seeing them much in my time in the area, and now every time I go outside within minutes I have a half dozen on my shirt.

Are they Forest Tent Caterpillars? They can strip a mature tree of all of its leaves but the tree usually recovers the next year. There was an infestation in the earlier 2000's. What was more impressive was the Friendly Fly infestation that followed.
6/6/24 @ 9:41 AM
Musky99
User since 8/8/11
Any place in the Eagle River area to donate bikes to?
6/5/24 @ 7:45 AM
the_dude
the_dude
User since 1/10/03
I've got those black Inch worm's all over my fruit trees eating holes in the leaves. Hope it doesn't harm them.

They sure are think this year, eh?  I don't recall seeing them much in my time in the area, and now every time I go outside within minutes I have a half dozen on my shirt.
6/5/24 @ 5:05 AM
44/45
PRO MEMBER User since 3/9/11
6/5/24 @ 12:08 AM
chitowncrappieman
chitowncrappieman
PRO MEMBER User since 3/4/06
N.pike/catch some crappies and try my suggestion. North eastern shore line 10-14ft  mud or marl bottom new emegent weeds best area up by you at this time!! expect to here a couple of 2lners  caught. just try my off the wall suggestion okay Wow back in my day that was my ticket for success. and of course the ole wives tale of the lilacs blooming..Believe me i used to think that was true until i learned better. PM me if you want.
6/4/24 @ 11:34 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02
All the gills we caught today did go back. Yes, lots of beds around, but a number of bluegills/rock bass caught in branchy areas as well.  A friend from Church lives on this lake and it’s a gem. We’re very blessed he allows access to us as well as the use of his canoe. 
The caterpillars look like “half-inch” worms. Very tiny and geeen and all over right now…Coming from maples, Oaks and pines from what I can tell. Hope they don’t harm the trees. Didn’t know that could be an issue so thanks for the heads up. 
The up north thread photo by n.pike
6/4/24 @ 8:57 PM
clueless
User since 10/24/04
Pike those catipillars you’re seeing are they coming from the spruce and balsam trees? Last year we had a bad outbreak of spruce budworm in Oneida and Vilas counties. Yesterday I was checking some of our balsams and was finding lots of catipillars which eat the new growth on short needle pines and tamaracks. I have read that back to back years of spruce budworm outbreaks can kill a lot of trees. You can goggle spruce budworm in Wisconsin if you want more info.
Nice gills,! I have been having a lot of fun with them also. Beetle spins work great.
6/4/24 @ 8:33 PM
ThreeFiftySeven
ThreeFiftySeven
User since 3/14/03
Those are some beautiful gills Pike! Ice fishing popped to mind immediately! Lol Had to be a great day, one of those places u manage amongst family 😉
6/4/24 @ 8:19 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12
Ive been wrestling with this neighbor issue up north. When you have a place on the lake you have to share the lake with 100 or more people in a given week and in most cases the best rule is to keep the peace and rideout the mishaps. But geez it gets irksome when people go for joyrides in shallow water during spawning season. Its not one or two people otherwise it would be easy to squash the behavior. Its a lot of people and if theyre tourists or one time renters correcting their behavioris a waste of time as next week there is a different set of tourists being the clueless offenders.  
6/4/24 @ 8:06 PM
OneFineDay
User since 7/22/12
Not many things bring as much joy as fightin 9” Bull Gills.  They all go back right now.  Their much more valuable to the future than into a fryin pan IMHO.  
6/4/24 @ 8:02 PM
OneFineDay
User since 7/22/12
Nice bunch of beds 🛌 n the background NP.  
The up north thread photo by OneFineDay
The up north thread photo by OneFineDay
6/4/24 @ 7:47 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02
This one even took a 4 inch bait… crazy! ​
The up north thread photo by n.pike
Displaying 1 to 15 of 5,413 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE