SEARCH
MORE
General Discussion

Old sporting goods in Milwaukee

1/1/24 @ 5:39 PM
INITIAL POST
crobar
User since 6/19/01

Tried looking for old thread but gone....anyway going thru fishing gear for fishing club ...and as pics show..hope ya can read it..m-m sporting goods ...>anyone remember where they were located?....tried google searching, but no luck....curious as all get out   

Old sporting goods in Milwaukee photo by crobar
Displaying 1 to 15 of 34 posts
4/28/24 @ 6:40 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17
Ktown. If you were 11 or 12 yo I doubt if they would have sold it to you.    I bought a Beretta Silver Snipe 12 ga over/under from Tysons when I was 18 but my Ma had to sign.    lol
4/28/24 @ 6:24 PM
crobar
User since 6/19/01
Glimmer  been awhile but I remember the Arlens store...not the tavern   ...anyhow back to Milw. stores...was working on some fishin gear this aft and found a Mitchell 300 that I got cleaning out my uncles stuff. Couldnt figure where Chappies was...but found some info back a page. My uncle was a southsider so that made sense. ....was amazed at price tag.. and what we paid for reels back in the 60's. 
1/4/24 @ 6:39 PM
glimmertwin
User since 1/18/11
Yup you Kenosha men can't have all the fun..
Does anyone remember Arlens? was a variety store on Appleton Avenue just down from Jim Mitchells great bar on other side of street. (Native Milwaukeeans always reference locations by bars) Did they have Firearms? trying to place where me Pop & I got our first pump guns.
Mine a Savage 12 and the obsequious Mossberg 500 for Pa.
Otherwise, was thinking that Mossberg might have actually come from Target! I'm pretty sure,way before they went all woke & crazy they had Firearms.
Thoughts?
1/4/24 @ 12:56 PM
ktowne
ktowne
PRO MEMBER User since 7/20/03
Here's a pic of Tyson's back in the day. The workroom was through the door at the end of the gun counter. I still have the .22 Remington pump rifle I got from Tyson's when I was eleven or twelve years old. I don't remember if I bought it, or if my dad bought it for me.

I also remember Eagle's, bought a pellet gun from them.
Old sporting goods in Milwaukee photo by ktowne
1/4/24 @ 12:28 PM
ThreeFiftySeven
ThreeFiftySeven
User since 3/14/03
Sorry to OP! Half of my family could probably go on for days about old Milwaukee establishments, but they're very anti internet.
1/4/24 @ 12:24 PM
ThreeFiftySeven
ThreeFiftySeven
User since 3/14/03
Leave it to Kenoshans to hijack a thread. Lol Who remembers Eagle Trading on Sheridan? Picked up an SKS, win 30-30, and savage lever 308 there. Couple new firing pins and still shooting. I'm fairly certain nothing over ​$200 was spent. Good ol' days
1/4/24 @ 12:08 PM
Carpio
Carpio
When EVINRUDE first came out with their new 25 HP motor i bought one from TYSONS.  It cost 325 or 350$.!!   I remember having a hard time scraping up that large amount of money.  lol.   
1/4/24 @ 12:06 PM
jawjerker
jawjerker
User since 1/14/02
Dad bought our deer rifles and shotguns from Tysons in Kenosha, we knew them and they lived in our area of Pleasant Prairie. As was stated they were the only sporting goods store in Kenosha
Gave my 30.06 to my oldest grandson last year but I still own the 2 shotguns
1/4/24 @ 10:52 AM
duckbird61
User since 7/16/12
Anyone buy swiss fix reels at Tysons?  How about recurve bows and arrows at Brennans Archery?
1/3/24 @ 4:02 PM
Carpio
Carpio
Ktown I didn’t phrase that correctly! I meant to say that before TYSONS was THE place for sporting goods ISSETS was where people shopped for sporting goods.     I believe TYSON went into business a couple of years after ISSETS closed up.  They were in two different parts of the city .

1/3/24 @ 3:46 PM
ktowne
ktowne
PRO MEMBER User since 7/20/03
I didn't realize Tyson's was originally Issets. Course, Carpio predates Columbus so he was probably there when they laid the cornerstone.
I'm surprised they were using paper currency back then, thought it would have been gold nuggets.   
1/3/24 @ 2:38 PM
Carpio
Carpio
I went back and thought about it and I was around 10 so that would make it around 1951 .         Edit .  The average hourly manufacturing wage at that time was about 1.75$ hr.   And I was actually paling around with my friend who was on the route, not me.   I saw the money rolled up and picked it up and my friend wanted me to share it with him but you can guess what I told him     
1/3/24 @ 2:24 PM
Gillespie
User since 2/6/19
Carpio, that story reminded me of watching the Leave It To Beaver show.    
1/3/24 @ 2:20 PM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
PRO MEMBER User since 2/8/06
That’s funny Carpio!
Parents sure knew how to ruin a good thing.
Back in the day it was probably more money than my dad would carry around (lol)
1/3/24 @ 2:07 PM
Carpio
Carpio
It was ISSETS SPORTING GOODS before TYSONs.   They were across the street from TROLLEY DOGS.   I once found 60 some$ lying on the sidewalk while on my paper route and blew it all on lures even though I didn’t own a rod & reel   When TED ISSET rang me up he asked my name and later called my dad and asked him where I got 60$.  Dad made me return the lures & reported the money to the police.    When nobody claimed it I got it back but my folks turned it into a weekly allowance   AND NO LURES!   lol.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 34 posts

MINN KOTA - UPGRADED Ulterra and Terrova
UPGRADED Ulterra and Terrova
The Ulterra® and Terrova® are newly upgraded to keep you at the top of your game and always in the thick of it. More maneuvers. More capabilities. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - UPGRADED Ulterra and Terrova Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging
Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging
It's showtime. We've expanded the performance of our MEGA Imaging®? technology with the introduction of MEGA Live Imaging™?. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE