SEARCH
MORE
General Discussion

Electric Vehicles here to stay

9/8/21 @ 12:28 PM
INITIAL POST
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

I just put my reservation in for the Ford F150 Lightning, cost me $100 down payment and if I ever take delivery I dont expect it for a couple years. Hey maybe something will change and I never take delivery. I got the ball rolling anyway.  Tesla maybe. For the money the Tesla truck is a superior product at a more affordable price than the F150. 

When will Electric vehicles overtake gasoline vehicles?

Displaying 1 to 15 of 703 posts
5/30/24 @ 6:25 PM
Get.the.net
User since 12/30/13
Amen, since when does common sense get thrown out with the bath water?
5/30/24 @ 6:11 PM
Snake1
Snake1
PRO MEMBER User since 1/22/21
And on top of that!?!?, As soon as they build them, the “Chargin Cords” are gone because the price of Copper is high? We will see what happens when they panic to build some now, and have to have 24hr Security to make it work. 🍖

5/30/24 @ 5:55 PM
arthur1957
arthur1957
User since 6/24/01
Snake1,
I agree, they will be great for 5% of the population. I just don't think the government should force them & pick winners & losers in the supply chain. 
5/30/24 @ 6:53 AM
joeblue83
User since 5/15/13
https://www.teslarati.com/study-only-2-5-percent-ev-batteries-replaced-to-date/

Looks like ​overall ev battery replacements starting in 2011 is 2.5%. Evs built after 2016 have much lower rate of failure, less than 1%. Much lower than i would of thought

5/28/24 @ 7:18 PM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01
China's hybrid 1200 miles plus​​​
5/28/24 @ 4:24 PM
Snake1
Snake1
PRO MEMBER User since 1/22/21
Our daughter has owned one for a couple years. I have got to drive it once. 
She charges at home on regular 120v garage outlet. She teaches in Lake Geneva and dont know if they have chargers at work. I doubt it. 
I would also like to know where all this taxpayer money went for charging stations? 
Is it corruption? Wish someone could perform an audit. 
I personally wouldn’t own one, but don’t knock anyone for trying it out.
5/27/24 @ 11:32 AM
gobbler
PRO MEMBER User since 6/30/01
8 billion approved for federal ev chargers to be built. A total of 8 have been built so far. Good job Joe.
5/27/24 @ 7:20 AM
joeblue83
User since 5/15/13
Not an expert but just telling my experience owning one.  dont believe everything in the news or on facebook about ev's.  New tesla cars start at 38k and suvs start at 44k without any incentives, almost in line with most ice vehicles.  On battery life, most ice vehicles dont make it to 200k or more, so i would be happy if mine got that or greater.  And one the cold ​weather, im fully aware of range loss in the cold. I have seen my loss of up ​tO 25% when it gets ​below 0f. I also lose about 10% range on my diesel also. My older prius lost 15% range too. Cold weather affects all vehicles a little different.

https://cascadecollision.com/blog/what-is-the-average-life-of-a-car/#:~:text=What's%20the%20Average%20Life%20of,longer%2C%20up%20to%20300%2C000%20miles.
5/26/24 @ 9:32 PM
fish magnet
PRO MEMBER User since 12/29/01
5/26/24 @ 9:13 PM
fish magnet
Also, why wouldn't they have a temp sensor on these cars that would automatically pre heat/condition the battery? Easy as that too!
5/26/24 @ 9:01 PM
fish magnet
Obviously your an expert on EV's , you sound like a salesman for Tesla, but I'm sorry, I'm a poor old man that can't afford a new Porsche or  Tesla, Not even to mention the cost (12,000 to 20,000) of a battery replacement after 200,000 miles or the expected life of those cars. I'm talking about something that could possibly be affordable for everyone, and still be good enough for the environment, air quality, etc. Ev's might be the greatest thing in the world in your eyes, but not in mine just yet.
5/26/24 @ 3:55 PM
joeblue83
User since 5/15/13
When would a tesla not take a charge? I have supercharged at full speed when it was -15 f outside  .If you plug in your EV without pre conditioning the battery, it will take anywhere between 30-60 minutes just to heat battery before it starts to charge To pre condition a battery all you need to do is navigate to it, not to difficult. Thats what happened in Chicago this winter.  When your navigating on the gps, it directs you to superchargers along your path so you never run out of juice. These are non factors when owning a ev.  What they really need to work on is a better and faster charge curve when supercharging.  my tesla can hold 250kw to 33% and starts to slowly taper. In comparoson the new porche taycan ev can charge at 325kw until 70% then starts to slowly taper.  Also as time goes by more superchargers are being built, and soon we will see V4 tesla superchargers which charge at 400kw max as compared to the V3 tesla superchargers which are rated max at 250kw. 
5/26/24 @ 1:42 PM
fish magnet
My main point with a hybrid was that when you can't go anywhere when your Tesla won't take a charge in winter, a hybrid can still run off gas if you have to get somewhere. Or if your driving long distance and you don't know exactly where you can plug in all the time, you have the option of gas. 
5/26/24 @ 1:31 PM
fish magnet
In theory you could heat using the battery first and run that out, then start it up and run off gas until that runs out, and then run off battery again because it recharged while you were running the engine.  
5/26/24 @ 1:29 PM
joeblue83
User since 5/15/13
2022 Tesla model 3 heat pump max 3.5kw per hour. Total battery in my long range 81kw, useable 77kw.  Dont plan in being stuck in ditch that long
Displaying 1 to 15 of 703 posts
TRENDING DISCUSSIONS

MINN KOTA - UPGRADED Ulterra and Terrova
UPGRADED Ulterra and Terrova
The Ulterra® and Terrova® are newly upgraded to keep you at the top of your game and always in the thick of it. More maneuvers. More capabilities. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - UPGRADED Ulterra and Terrova Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging
Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging
It's showtime. We've expanded the performance of our MEGA Imaging®? technology with the introduction of MEGA Live Imaging™?. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE